Emerging as a leader in meal services and crisis response during the pandemic, Blanchet House is positioned to further expand its outreach and residential programs to meet the growing need in our community. In support of these efforts, Blanchet House seeks a strategic project specialist, skilled at collaborating with talented, passionate team members. Initiatives will focus on growing the organization's fundraising and community support, including within the business community and among foundations. However, candidates need not be content specialists in fundraising and development so long as they have demonstrated success at leading complex projects to successful outcomes and are motivated to gain content expertise. This is an exciting opportunity to join an organization committed to developing initiatives and to working with its colleague agencies to effect meaningful change for those hit hardest by the pandemic and economic crisis.
Founded in 1952, Blanchet House is a nonprofit social service agency whose mission is to feed, shelter, and aid those in need of compassionate, supportive restoration. In addition to serving three meals per day, six days a week at our downtown Portland location, Blanchet House shelters and assists homeless men in their transformation to self-sufficiency. We also operate Blanchet Farm, a 62-acre working farm in Yamhill County where men participate in 12-step/peer support recovery. Blanchet House of Hospitality takes pride in providing a safe, healthy, and respectful environment for everyone in our community.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives—Fundraising joins with the Executive Director and other members of the development team to identify and drive fundraising initiatives and projects in furtherance of the Blanchet House mission and services. The Director oversees these efforts, coordinating multiple projects simultaneously and ensuring project goals, success factors, project plans, budgets, and schedules are established and met. The Director successfully cultivates and maintains relationships with external supporters and donors, consultants, and campaign stakeholders, including Blanchet House boards. The Director monitors and measures project progress, communicates project status to all stakeholders, and highlights when corrective action is necessary to successfully achieve project goals. They translate data and findings for a broad range of audiences. They maintain a high degree of collaboration across the organization, keeping leadership apprised of potential issues, concerns, and opportunities.
- Leads organization wide efforts to enhance fundraising performance.
- Leads strategic planning and management of Blanchet House fundraising programs and events, initiatives, major and leadership gifts, legacy giving, and special campaigns.
- Oversees grant funding operations, including management of existing grants, developing new grant funded relationship and opportunities, budget planning and monitoring, and reporting,
- For grants and other restricted gifts, ensures compliance for programmatic commitments, financial standards, and legal requirements.
- Leads and produces the annual Lend a Helping Hand Brunch.
- Provides prospect management processes and strategies to effectively enhance cultivation and solicitation of top prospects and donors.
- Develops recognition strategies to drive fundraising.
- Establishes metrics and measures, and examines performance reports, to evaluate fundraising campaign progress and success.
- Provides strategic and project leadership and management in support of Blanchet House’s mission, vision, and strategic objectives.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director and the Director of Marketing & Communications, supporting initiatives that enhance and support organization priorities and its standing in the community.
- Designs and leads collaborative, complex, and diversified projects, coordinating the work of other staff members and professionals, managing budgets, and ensuring accountability.
- Serves as a strategic partner to leadership by providing updates and recommendations on critical initiatives or projects.
- Plans, monitors, and reports the budgets for initiatives and special events.
- Assists stakeholders in driving projects through to completion.
Blanchet House staff members recognize that participating in a professional community and contributing to the organization’s wellbeing are important elements of their relationship to Blanchet House. Staff members are expected to take active roles in Blanchet House’s professional and programmatic culture in a variety of ways in addition to their essential responsibilities. Blanchet House staff members:
- Advance the Blanchet House Mission and Core Values; our commitment to DEIJ principles and action; and our services as a house of hospitality to those in need. Blanchet House staff members represent Blanchet House with distinction, acting with the highest degree of professionalism, integrity, and confidentiality. They value compassion and respect for the dignity of others in their work; and they promote the safe, healthy, and friendly experiences of all Blanchet House community members. This includes helping to maintain Blanchet House policies, procedures, and expectations.
- Develop and promote professional, collaborative, and collegial relationships to the benefit of Blanchet House and the communities we serve. This requires interacting effectively with people from different cultures and with different perspectives and experiences. Blanchet House staff members participate in staff and committee meetings, Blanchet House’s culture and community, and the day-to-day services of the organization.
- Exhibit a growth mindset about best practices and work toward professional goals and development. Learn from and build on diverse cultural and community perspectives and experiences. Complete all assignments in a timely manner as requested by supervisor.
- At least five years of demonstrated success in project oversight and management, leading teams and stakeholders, and identifying and working toward achieving strategic initiatives and objectives.
- Demonstrated success collaborating effectively and with intention across organizations, particularly with other directors and managers essential to a project’s or initiative’s success.
- Demonstrated success motivating, guiding, and supporting staff and stakeholders in completing tasks, meeting deadlines, and driving projects and initiatives to implementation.
- Demonstrated success anticipating and resolving challenges and obstacles to a project’s or initiative’s success, as well as continually assessing projects and programs to ensure future growth and success.
- Demonstrated success responding to changing priorities and circumstances, adjusting projects and programs as required to promote continued relevance and success.
- Demonstrated commitment to exploring and responding to opportunities in a timely manner so that strong mutual relationships with external supporters and prospects are nurtured and established and so that the organization takes full advantage of its position in the community.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills as well as the ability to develop strong relationships with a variety of organizational stakeholders and when working with people with different backgrounds and life experiences.
- An engaged listener, receptive to other ideas and respectful of the expertise of others.
- A learner, committed to professional growth and gaining expertise in new areas.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofing skills, along with excellent problem-solving skills, with a consistent, solution-oriented approach.
- Excellent judgement and ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, including the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, and improve on existing processes/systems.
- Strong research, critical thinking, and analytic skills.
- Demonstrates a keen attention to detail, a commitment to follow-through, and a high level of motivation while displaying readiness, optimism, and calm under pressure.
- Fundraising experience and expertise are not required but will be considered.
Other qualifications include experience with databases or constituent relationship management (CRM) systems; advanced level skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Word and Excel, and Teams; experience with G suite helpful; and confident with technology and willing to learn how to use new databases and online tools.
The Director of Strategic Initiatives supervises the Development Manager and may supervise and oversee the work of consultants contracted to perform fundraising services for the organization.
As a human services agency, Blanchet House provides essential services in response to the COVID-19 crisis in our community. Employees are expected to follow the organization’s COVID-19 protocols and to take all necessary, mandated, and recommended precautions to keep themselves and others in our community safe and healthy.
Many Blanchet House clients experience physical and/or mental health disabilities, mental health and/or addiction crisis, and trauma. Employees must be able to safely and successfully work in this environment and with marginalized, vulnerable community members.
Physical requirements are consistent with physical duties required of general office work and management of donations, including lifting/transport of items weighing up to 30 pounds.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Background check, drug screen, and proof of authorization to work in the U.S. required prior to hire.
Blanchet House of Hospitality is an equal opportunity employer. We will extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy), national origin, disability, age, gender identification, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state or local law. Our policy reflects and affirms Blanchet House of Hospitality’s commitment to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.